The word “enchilada” means seasoned with chile (which this is) while the farro slow cooks absorbing the flavors just like corn tortillas, so this dish does taste like cheesy enchiladas. You could also say it tastes like Mexican Sloppy Joes. Either way, this is an easy delicious recipe, cooked 2 different ways depending on how much time you have!
(modification of original recipe from Team Beachbody)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil OR (B) Non-stick spray
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pounds raw ground chicken (or turkey) breast
- 1 cup dry farro, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar (or Monterey Jack) cheese
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
PREPARATION (you can do it a couple of ways!)
A) Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapenos; cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the ground chicken/turkey breast; cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring to break up clumps until cooked through. Add meat/onion/garlic/jalapeno mixture to crock pot. Add next 11 ingredients (farro through black pepper) to crock pot. Mix well and cover. Cook on HIGH for 3 hours.
B) Or you can spray the crock pot with non-stick spray. Add onion through black pepper to crock pot. Mix well and cover. Cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours. (NOTE: we’ve cooked it this way and it was so easy!)
Remove lid and stir mixture to break up any meat clumps. Add cheese; mix well. Cover until cheese has melted.
Serve “enchiladas” warm topped with scallions and cilantro.
Nutritional Info/Serving: Calories 335, Fat 5 g, Protein 36 g, Carbs 36 g
21 Day Fix Container Equivalents/Serving: 1 Red, 1.5 Yellow, 0.5 Green, 0.5 Blue